The “Cyclist Welcome” program recognizes businesses that take the needs of cyclists into consideration and make their properties welcoming and easy for visiting cyclists to use. Regardless of the type of tourism or retail property operated, all can participate in welcoming this growing visitor segment.
Criteria for Participation:
- Secure bicycle rack or secure storage.
- Information and maps of local bike trails and the Confederation Trail available.
- Information on local bicycle repair and rental outlets as well as regional tourist information centers.
- Potable water available to replenish supply or water for sale.
- If food is served, nutritional needs taken into consideration including offering generous portions of fruits and vegetables as well as a selection of high-carbohydrate dished.
- Upon request, provide temporary storage of personal belongings(while cyclist use
- Pump and tools (universal bike tool, patch kit) for making minor repairs (accommodation / camping only).
- First aid kit (accommodation / camping only).
- Secure, covered location to store bicycles at night (accommodation properties).
- For campgrounds, a place to camp, even without a reservation, if visitor is travelling exclusively by bicycle.
- A covered shelter for meals, when staying at a campground.
Participation includes: Publication and explanation of Cyclist Welcome symbol in the Island Visitor’s Guide, on the PEI tourism web site, within the Confederation Trail Cycling Guide. Other regional tourism destinations may also be promoting this program. Signage can be obtained for an additional fee of $20 plus tax per sign, for your business use.
Participation is voluntary and payment of the fee is required, prior to the verification inspection. Signage, if requested and paid, will be distributed upon successful verification of the criteria.
Follow the link to register and participate in the Cyclist Welcome Program.